Pickled Unripe Papaya (Achara)
4 cups grated green papaya or 32-
1/2 cup coarse salt
1 cup vinegar
2 small carrots, pared and sliced thinly
1 small green pepper, seeded and cut to strips
1 small red pepper, seeded and cut to strips
2 tbsp. ginger strips
1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
5 tbsp. raisins
1. Combine grated papaya and coarse salt. Knead together for a few minutes. Wrap 1 cup at a time in a "J" cloth and squeeze out moisture.
2. Soak grated papaya in 1 cup vinegar overnight. Squeeze out as much vinegar from the papaya as possible.
3. Combine with rest of ingredients. Pack in sterilized jars and pour hot pickling solution over the vegetables. Let cool at room temperature. Cover jars tightly and refrigerate. will keep indefinitely in refrigerator. Ripens after first week.
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
Apple Chicken Salad
2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced black or stuffed olives
3 red apples, cored and diced with skin on
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup sweet relish, drained
1/2 tsp. salt
dashed of white pepper
1/2 tsp. MSG
1. Combine all ingredients, except salad greens, tossing to coat ingredients with dressing evenly. Correct the seasonings. Chill covered with plastic wrap until ready to use.
2. when ready to serve, line individual salad bowls with salad greens. Heap chicken apple mixture in center.
Sayote (4 pcs)
Ground beef (1/2 kg.)
Olive oil (2 Tbsp)
Garlic (3 cloves -
Onion (1 pc-
Brandy (2 Tbsp)
Tomato sauce (1 small can)
Salt and pepper
Orange and parsley
Cut into halves peeled sayote and boiled half cooked.
On pan with oil, sauté garlic and onion, then put brandy.
Add ground beef, tomato sause and seasoned with salt and pepper until cooked.
On as separate baking pan, stuffed sayote halves with ground beef mixture.
Put quick melt cheese and mozzarella shredded on top.
Pour béchamel sauce on top and broil the stuffed sayote 3-
When cooked, garnished with orange slices and chopped parsley.
BECHAMEL SAUCE (mixture)
On a deep pan, melt butter on slow fire. Add flour, chicken stock, cream and stir continuously until mixture becomes creamy. Seasoned with white pepper.
SCRAMBLED EGG DELIGHT
2 Eggs, Knorr Liquid Seasoning, Ground pepper, Tabasco (Habanero would be good), a teaspoon of fresh milk, rock salt to taste
Break eggs, separate white from the yolk, beat the whites, add a dash of Liquid seasoning, ground pepper for texture, then continue beating to a froth. Once frothy, add the pinch of salt, then mix the egg yolks, beating it until you get a yellowish brown consistency. Add 3-
Servings: good for 1 person
4 or 5 potatoes
1/4 cup butter/margarine
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
Peel and slice potatoes. Melt butter or margarine, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper together. Pour over potatoes and bake at 35o F, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour until potatoes are tender to a fork. Then serve.